Institute of Physics Singapore
Fellowship for Physicists and the Promotion of Physics in Singapore
IPS Physics Education Awards
- The Crescendas Medal and Prize for Outstanding Physics Teacher (Junior Colleges).
- The Crescendas Medal and Prize for Outstanding Physics Teacher (Secondary Schools).
- The Crescendas Medal and Prize for Outstanding Engineering Physics Teacher (Polytechnics/ITE).
- The Crescendas Medal and Prize for Outstanding Applied Physics Researcher (Polytechnics).
The first three teaching awards were instituted by the Council of the Institute in October 2004 (the Award for Polytechnics/ITEs was instituted in 2014) in recognition of outstanding and innovative physics/engineering physics teaching at institutions in Singapore. As many remarkable teachers nurture and inspire each new generation of potential physicists annually, they deserve greater recognition for their outstanding efforts and novel ways of physics teaching. Awards are also considered for creative teachers who have made outstanding contributions to school Science Societies such as astronomy clubs, shared or fostered physics collaborations with other schools or organizations.
The new Applied Physics Researcher (Polytechnics) award were instituted by the Council of the Institute in October 2016 in recognition of outstanding and innovative applied physics/engineering research conducted at Polytechnics in Singapore. This special award was created to recognize that many applications of physics in new products and software were also created in Polytechnics.
The award shall be made annually for outstanding contributions to the public’s understanding of physics. The Proposer may also be one of the 3 Referees, with at least one being the Head of Department, Vice Principal or Principal of Schools.
Each award comprises the Crescendas Medal, an IPS certificate and a prize of :
- S$400/- (Secondary Schools category)
- S$500/- (Junior Colleges category)
- S$1000/- (Polytechnics/ITEs category)
- S$1000/- (Applied Physics Research Polytechnics category)